The Schedule 51 V hardware superstore schedule includes several categories of products/services, or SINs, for just about anything you can find at your local hardware store. In the latest schedule refresh, the 51 V office released an important update relating to the Maintenance, Repair and Operations (MRO) Federal Strategic Sourcing Initiative (FSSI). The latest refresh of the 51 V solicitation may be found on FBO.
The following SINs are no longer available to new offerors due to the MRO FSSI:
- 105-001– Hardware Store, Home Improvement Center, or MRO – Store Front
- 105-002– Hardware Store, Home Improvement Center, or MRO – Catalog
- 550-001- Tools Powered
- 600-001- Tool Boxes, Tool Cabinets, Tool Chests, and Tool Holders
- 613-001- Tools, Non-powered
- 834-100- Commercial Coatings, Adhesives. Sealants and Related Services
- 834-500- Stains, Varnishes, Sealers, Shellacs, Lacquers and Related Services
GSA is stating that the moratorium will stand for two years at which time it will be reassessed. Keep in mind they said the same thing when the office supply FSSI was awarded and that schedule has been closed indefinitely.
Further new requirements include AbilityOne and new companies wishing to obtain a 51 V GSA Schedule. In the past, a schedule holder with the below SINs was not authorized to sell products that are “essentially the same” (ETS) as those identified by the AbilityOne Commission. The new requirement takes it one step further and new vendors who are proposing products under the following SINs are now required to become Authorized AbilityOne Distributors:
- 105-001- Hardware Store, Home Improvement Center, or MRO – Store Front (no longer available)
- 105-002- Hardware Store, Home Improvement Center, or MRO – Catalog (no longer available)
- 341-800- Lawn and Garden Tools
- 600-001- Tool Boxes, Tool Cabinets, Tool Chests, and Tool Holders (no longer available)
- 612-209- Tool Kits
- 613-001- Tools, Nonpowered
- 834-100- Commercial Coatings, Adhesives, Sealants and Related Services (no longer available)
- 834-500- Stains, Varnishes, Sealers, Shellacs, Lacquers and Related Services (no longer available)
- 834-600- Commercial Coatings Removers and Related Services
- 834-700- Commercial Coatings Applicators
New offers are to remove any commercial items that are found ETS and must distribute the comparable AbilityOne product. A spreadsheet showing the ETS product and AbilityOne counterpart replacement must be included with your offer, along with specific technical factors relating to AbilityOne and its processes.
The AbilityOne program offers employment for individuals who are blind or severely disabled and through the AbilityOne program a number of products used in office and light industrial settings are sold. The Government is required to use AbilityOne as their first source of supply for acquiring office and light industrial products.
To become a distributor you are required to meet the criteria of AbilityOne program and fill out an application.
For current Schedule 51V GSA schedule holder under the SINs, GSA has not yet posted procedures or requirements. We recommend, however, that you take a proactive approach to become an Ability One distributor.
If you have any questions on AbilityOne or becoming a certified AbilityOne vendor feel free to contact Coley at 210-402-6766.
Julio is a Senior Consultant with Coley GCS, LLC, a Government Contracts Consulting, Coaching and Training company. Julio has over 10 years’ experience helping companies succeed with their GSA schedules.