From DUNS to UEI

Beginning April 4, 2022, All federal agencies will cease referencing the Dun and Bradstreet Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) and begin using a Unique Entity Identifier (UEI). All potential vendors will be provided a UEI through System for Award Management program ( A few years ago, we published an announcement that GSA would transition away from DUNS to a new Unique Entity Identifier (UEI).

Government contractors will not have to register to a third party as this will be managed internally through the SAM’s Integrated Award Environment. The new UEI will be twelve alphanumeric characters long and just like DUNS, it is assigned based on separate legal entities or separate physical addresses.

Action Items:

Until April 4, 2022, the DUNS Number is the entity identifier and potential vendors will still need to get a DUNS before registering with SAM. After April 4th, the federal government will no longer require the DUNS. Additionally subcontracting reporting can continue to use the DUNS until the transition but will be required to report with an UEI after April 4th.

If you are an active contractor, you should ensure your company’s registration with is current, and you are ready to transition to the new identifier (UEI). We recommend that you add your UEI to all federal marketing materials and landing pages.

If your company is not current with, your access to agency specific portals could be impacted.  The Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA) communicated that access to their Customer Engagement Portal (CEP) could be impacted for vendors who do not transition to the UEI by the April deadline.

How to get an UEI

For companies that already have a DUNS Number and are registered in, then an UEI has already been assigned. This includes registered inactive entities. If you need help on how to view your UEI, then follow these steps:

How to View your Unique Entity Identifier (UEI)?

  1. Log into
  2. Go to Workspace, under Entity Management
  3. Select the numbered bubble above Active.
  4. Once on your company record details, your number should appear on the left side

There may be companies who don’t want to complete a full registration on and already have a DUNS. For example, if you only conduct certain types of transactions, such as reporting as a sub-awardee, you can also get an UEI.  Keep in mind you will still need to create a SAM account via  and complete a profile. Once you have an account follow these steps:

  1. Login to
  2. Go to Workspace, under Entity Management
  3. Select the Get Started Button
  4. Enter the required information about your entity
  5. Validate the information is correct and the system will verify an exact match with your DUNS record.
  6. Select if your SAM profile should be private or public. Visit this post to read some Pro and Con’s about your selection.
  7. Once you certify that you are authorized by the entity you are registering, you will be able to request your UEI. Which will be displayed in your next page.

At Coley GCS, we have provided companies with the support they need to successfully enter and compete in the federal marketplace. For further information  Schedule a no-cost initial call at a time that is convenient for you, call us directly at 210-402-6766 or reach us by email at


Additional Resources

Connect With Coley


*What are you Interested In?

You have Successfully Subscribed! Someone from Coley will be in contact with you shortly.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This